The Daily Wire is looking for an experienced entertainment attorney with substantial entertainment business acumen to join our Legal Department in Nashville, Tennessee as our Counsel, Business & Legal Affairs!
The Counsel, Business & Legal Affairs will provide advice and counsel on all aspects of building out The Daily Wire’s entertainment division. This person will manage a heavy volume of production- and development-related scripted and unscripted work for The Daily Wire, which will acquire, develop, and produce original content for its platform.
In addition to entertainment legal work, the Counsel, Business & Legal Affairs will also fill a generalist, Associate General Counsel role, supporting the legal functions of the entire company, including corporate, compliance, trademark, intellectual property, technology, privacy, general contract review, and other matters.
- Responsible for, and provide expertise to company executives regarding, the company’s film and television finance and acquisitions, deal structuring, talent agreements, and other entertainment and intellectual property business matters
- Structure, draft, and negotiate agreements involving the development, production, licensing, and acquisition of scripted and unscripted films, series, and podcasts including but not limited to: distribution, financing, acquisition, pickup, talent, writers, directors, rights, and production
- Consult with outside counsel to manage and oversee the structuring, drafting, and negotiating of all manner of agreements relevant to The Daily Wire’s growing entertainment division, as well as its news and political commentary business
- Perform day-to-day legal work for all of The Daily Wire’s programs under direction of its General Counsel including but not limited to:
- Vetting creative summaries/pitches/potential characters for legal and business riskManaging all aspects of and providing on- and off-set advice to the company’s internal Production Department, as well as third-party production companies, on development- and production-related matters
- Working with internal departments in connection with legal concerns that may arise in connection with production and development and to ensure compliance with the company’s policies and procedures
- Providing day-to-day legal counsel regarding legal concerns in connection with the company’s news and commentary programs (clearances, releases, etc.)
- Managing with outside counsel the company’s trademarks portfolio
- Reviewing, drafting, and negotiating various contracts in connection with the company’s Production, Marketing, Publishing, e-Commerce, and other divisions
- Researching and providing advice regarding legal issues as they arise
- Maintaining the company’s corporate documents, contracts, and legal records
- Performing other day-to-day legal and business affairs-related tasks as needed and assigned by the General Counsel
- Support the General Counsel in overall management of the Legal department
- Demonstrate and communicate leadership internally and externally as an ambassador and spokesperson for the company and advocate for the company’s brand
Experience & Requirements:
- Nashville, Tennessee – based position (Working remotely is not an option)
- 8+ years of experience at a law firm and/or in a business and/or legal affairs department (ideally at a major studio or OTT/streaming service), with significant, demonstrable scripted and unscripted deal-making experience
- JD and strong academic credentials from an ABA-accredited law school and current Bar admission
- Demonstrable business affairs/negotiating experience with film and television producers, financiers, and OTT/streaming services
- Excellent negotiating and drafting skills
- Knowledge of entertainment transactions and day-to-day legal challenges faced by scripted and unscripted film and television productions
- Flexibility and ability to pivot according to quickly-changing business needs
- Ability to analyze fact patterns and devise creative solutions that allow executives to execute their creative vision while minimizing overall legal and business risk
- Strong knowledge concerning union (SAG-AFTRA, WGA, DGA, IATSE) and non-union issues and working knowledge of labor and employment law issues, music clearances, intellectual property law, risk management issues and rights of publicity and privacy
- Attention to detail and ability to efficiently juggle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to proactively collaborate with various company departments, provide guidance, and make strategic recommendations in deal-making
- Excellent industry relationships and a proactive approach to building relationships with television agents, entertainment lawyers and other entertainment professionals.
- A cooperative, team-focused approach
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and G-Suite
Start date: Immediate
Employment type: Full-time; Exempt
Health insurance options (medical through Blue Cross Blue Shield; dental and vision through Guardian); Paid Time Off; 401k (5% match)
To learn more about Daily Wire, please visit the following Daily Wire Facebook and YouTube page links:
Daily Wire Facebook
Daily Wire YouTube
Daily Wire provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Please Note: Daily Wire participates in E-Verify and performs background checks on all new hires. We will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee’s form I-9 to confirm work authorization.